University of California, San Diego
Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT)
Vision and Learning in Humans and Machines
· Trainee Papers ·
IGERT authors: please acknowledge all IGERT related publications involving research
conducted while you were a graduate student (during and after your
IGERT support years -- You are still an IGERT fellow even after your
funding ends until you graduate). You may acknowledge with the following
· Dobkins, KR (2009). Does Visual Modularity Increase over the Course of Development? Optometry & Vision Science (in press).
· Filimon, F ; Nelson, JD; Huang, R-S; Sereno, MI (2009). Multiple parietal reach regions in humans: cortical representations for visual and proprioceptive feedback during online reaching. Journal of Neuroscience, 29 (9):2961-2971
· Joshua M. Lewis, Gedeon O. DeÂ·k, Jochen Triesch. A Virtual Environment For Simulating Infant-Parent Social Behaviors and Testing Infant Learning Theories. Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) Biennial Meeting, 2009.
· Meier P, Flister E and Reinagel P (2009). Rat's Detection of Oriented Visual Target is Impaired by Collinear Flankers. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience. Conference Abstract: Computational and systems neuroscience. doi: 10.3389/conf.neuro.06.2009.03.199
· Rabinovich A., Belongie S., "Scenes vs. Objects: a Comparative Study of Two Approaches to Context Based Recognition", International Workshop on Visual Scene Understanding (ViSU), Miami, FL, to appear, 2009. (Appears in workshop proceedings for IEEE CVPR 2009.)
· Todd Ferretti, Hannah Rohde, Andrew Kehler, and Melanie Crutchley (2009) Verb Aspect, Event Structure, and Coreferential Processing. To appear in the Journal of Memory and Language.
· Klinton Bicknell & Hannah Rohde (2009) Dynamic Integration of Pragmatic Expectations and Real-World Event Knowledge in Syntactic Ambiguity Resolution. To appear in the proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. Amsterdam, Netherlands. July 29-August 1, 2009.
· Hannah Rohde & Andrew Kehler (2009) The Interaction of Structural and Semantic Biases in Coherence and Coreference. Poster presented at the 22nd Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing. Davis, CA, March 26-28.
· Hannah Rohde & Andrew Kehler (2009) QUD-Driven Expectations in Discourse Interpretation. Talk presented at the 83rd Annual LSA Meeting. San Francisco, CA, January 8-11, 2009.
· Hannah Rohde & Andrew Kehler (2009) Grammatical and Coherence-Driven Biases in Pronoun Interpretation. Talk presented at the 83rd Annual LSA Meeting. San Francisco, CA, January 8-11, 2009.
· Zwaigenbaum L, Bryson S, Lord C, Rogers S, Carter A, Carver L, Chawarska K, Constantino J, Dawson G, Dobkins K (2009), Fein D, Iverson J, Klin A, Landa R, Messinger D, et al.. Clinical Assessment and Management of Toddlers with Suspected ASD: Insights from Studies of High-Risk Infants. Pediatrics (in press).
· Boris Babenko, Ming-Hsuan Yang, Serge Belongie. Visual Tracking with Online Multiple Instance Learning to appear in CVPR 2009, Miami, Florida.
· Boris Babenko, Piotr DollÂ·r, Zhuowen Tu, Serge Belongie. Simultaneous Learning and Alignment: Multi-Instance and Multi-Pose Learning ECCV 2008: Faces in Real-Life Images, Marseille, France.
· L. Barrington, M. Yazdani, D. Turnbull, G. Lanckriet - Combination of Feature Kernels for Semantic Music Retrieval. ISMIR 2008
· Barrington, Marks, Hsiao & Cottrell - NIMBLE: A Kernel Density Model of Saccade-Based Visual Memory. Journal of Vision, 8(14):17, 1-14
· Butko, N.J., Zhang, L. Cottrell, G.W. and Movellan, J.R. (2008) Visual saliency model for robot cameras. In International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2008). Here is the code
· A. B. Chan and N. Vasconcelos. Modeling, clustering, and segmenting video with mixtures of dynamic textures. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), Vol. 30(5), pp. 909-926, May 2008.
· A. B. Chan, Z. S. J. Liang, and N. Vasconcelos. Privacy Preserving Crowd Monitoring: Counting People without People Models or Tracking In, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Anchorage, June 2008.
· Dobkins KR & Sampath, V (2008). The use of chromatic information for motion segmentation: Differences between psychophysical and eye movement measures. Perception, 37, 993-1009.
· Piotr DollÂ·r, Boris Babenko, Serge Belongie, Pietro Perona, Zhuowen Tu. Multiple Component Learning for Object Detection. ECCV 2008, Marseille, France.
· Carolina Galleguillos and Serge Belongie. Context Based Object Categorization: A Critical Survey [ps] Technical Report UCSD CS2008-0928, 2008.
· Carolina Galleguillos, Boris Babenko, Andrew Rabinovich and Serge Belongie. Weakly Supervised Object Recognition and Localization with Stable Segmentations [pdf] to appear, European Conference in Computer Vision (ECCV) 2008, Marseille, France.
· Carolina Galleguillos, Andrew Rabinovich and Serge Belongie. Object Categorization using Co-Ocurrence, Location and Appearance [pdf] IEEE Conference in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2008, Anchorage, USA.
· Huang, R.-S. and M.I. Sereno (2008) Visual stimulus presentation using fiber optics in the MRI scanner Journal of Neuroscience Methods 169:76-83 (PDF)
· Neel Joshi, Richard Szeliski, and David Kriegman. PSF Estimation using Sharp Edge Prediction. Proceedings of IEEE CVPR 2008.
· Kanan, C., Tong, M.H., Zhang, L. & Cottrell, G.W. (to appear). SUN: Top-down saliency using natural statistics. Visual Cognition Special Issue on eye guidance in natural scenes (B. Tatler, Ed.).
· Joshua M. Lewis, Pincelli M. Hull, Kilian Q. Weinberger, Lawrence K. Saul. (2008). Mapping Uncharted Waters: Exploratory Analysis, Visualization, and Clustering of Oceanographic Data. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications, 2008, pp. 388-395.
· Marks, T.K., Howard, A., Bajracharya, M., Cottrell, G.W. and Matthies, L. (2008) Gamma-SLAM: Using stereo vision and variance grid maps for SLAM in unstructured environments. In International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2008).
· Hamed Masnadi-Shirazi and Nuno Vasconcelos. On the Design of Loss Functions for Classification: theory, robustness to outliers, and SavageBoost. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, MIT Press, 2008.
· McCleery, J.P., Zhang,L.,Ge, L., Wang, Z., Christiansen, E.M., Lee,K. and Cottrell, G.W. (2008) The roles of visual expertise and visual input in the face inversion effect: Behavioral and neurocomputational evidence Vision Research 48:703-715.
· Flister E, Meier P, & Reinagel P. Rats learn visual discriminations in the presence of distractors. Computational and Systems Neuroscience, poster at conference, 2008.
· Meier P, Flister E & Reinagel P. Rats learn visual discriminations in the presence of distractors. IGERT Project Meeting, poster, 2008.
· Andrew Kehler, Laura Kertz, Hannah Rohde, & Jeff Elman (2008) Coherence and Coreference Revisited. Journal of Semantics Special Issue on Processing Meaning, 25: 1-44.
· Robinson, AE, & Triesch, J. (2008). Task-specific modulation of memory for object features in natural scenes. Advances in Cognitive Psychology, 4, 1-14. (Details)
· Robinson, AE, Manzi, A., & Triesch, J. (2008). Object perception is selectively slowed by a visually similar working memory load. Journal of Vision, 8(16):7, 1-13. (Details)
· Robinson, AE, & de Sa, VR. (2008). Brief presentations reveal the temporal dynamics of brightness induction and White's illusion. Vision Research, 48, 2370-2381. (Details)
· Robinson, AE, & de Sa, VR. (2008). Measuring brightness induction during brief stimulus displays. Poster at Vision Sciences Society, Naples, FL. (Details)
· Saygin, A.P. and M.I. Sereno (2008) Retinotopy and attention in human occipital, temporal, parietal, and frontal cortex. Cerebral Cortex 18:2158-2168. (PDF)
· Matthew H. Tong, Carrie A. Joyce, and Garrison W. Cottrell, (2008). Why is the fusiform face area recruited for novel categories of expertise? A neurocomputational investigation. Brain Research, 1202, 14-24.
· Douglas Turnbull, Luke Barrington, Gert Lanckriet. Five Approaches to Coleecting Tags for Music. International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '08) Philadelphia, September 2008
· Douglas Turnbull. Design and Development of a Semantic Music Discovery Engine. University of California, San Diego, May 2008. pdf :: video :: slides :: bib
· D. Turnbull, L. Barrington, D. Torres, G. Lanckriet - Semantic Annotation and Retrieval of Music and Sound Effects. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, February 2008 bib
· Douglas Turnbull, Luke Barrington, David Torres, Gert Lanckriet. Semantic Annotation and Retrieval of Music and Sound Effects. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing. February, 2008. pdf :: bib
· Lingyun Zhang, Matthew H. Tong, Tim K. Marks, Honghao Shan, and Garrison W. Cottrell (2008). SUN: A Bayesian Framework for Saliency Using Natural Statistics. Journal of Vision, 8(7):32, 1-20.
· Wills J., Agarwal S., Kriegman D., Belongie S., "Toward a Perceptual Space for Gloss", ACM Transactions on Graphics, to appear, 2009.
· In media: Douglas Turnbull interviewed by Daniel Kane. Online Game Feeds Music Search Engine UC San Diego Press Release, September 26, 2007
· In media: Douglas Turnbull interviewed by Lee Gomes. Computer Scientists Pull a Tom Sawyer to Finish Grunt Work. The Wall Street Journal, June 27, 2007
· D. Turnbull, L. Barrington, D. Torres, G. Lanckriet. Semantic Annotation and Retrieval of Music and Sound Effects. To Appear in IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing - Late 2007
· D. Turnbull, G. Lanckriet, E. Pampalk & M. Goto. A Supervised Approach for Detecting Boundaries in Music using Difference Features and Boosting. International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '07), Vienna, September 2007. PDF, slides, bibliography
· D. Torres, D. Turnbull, L. Barrington & G. Lanckriet. Identifying Words that are Musically Meaningful using Sparce CCA. International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '07), Vienna, September 2007. PDF, slides, bibliography.
· D. Turnbull, R. Liu, L. Barrington & G. Lanckriet. A Game-Based Approach for Collecting Semantic Annotations of Music. International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '07), Vienna, September 2007. PDF, slides, bibliography
· D. Turnbull, L. Barrington, D. Torres & G. Lanckriet. Towards Musical Query-by-Semantic Description using the CAL500 Data Set. ACM Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval (SIGIR '07), Amsterdam, July 2007. PDF, slides, bibliography.
· L. Barrington, A. Chan, D.Turnbull & G.Lanckriet Audio Information Retrieval Using Semantic Similarity. International Conference on Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '07), Hawaii, April 2007. PDF, poster, bibliography
· D.P. Wipf, J.A. Palmer, B.D. Rao, and K. Kreutz-Delgado, Performance Analysis of Latent Variable Models with Sparse Priors," To appear in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2007.
· D.P. Wipf and B.D. Rao, ``An Empirical Bayesian Strategy for Solving the Simultaneous Sparse Approximation Problem," To appear in IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2007.
· Nelson, JD, & Cottrell, GW (2007). A probabilistic model of eye movements in concept formation. Neurocomputing, 70, 2256-2272. doi:10.1016/j.neucom.2006.02.026
· D.P. Wipf, R.R. RamÃrez, J.A. Palmer, S. Makeig, and B.D. Rao, ``Analysis of Empirical Bayesian Methods for Neuroelectromagnetic Source Localization," To appear in B. Schölkopf, J. Platt, and T. Hoffman, editors, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 19, MIT Press, 2007. (Winner of 2006 Outstanding Student paper award.)
· Robinson, AE, Hammon, PS, & de Sa, VR. (2007). Explaining brightness illusions using spatial filtering and local response normalization. Vision Research, 47, 1631-1644. [pdf]
· Nelson, JD (in press). Towards a rational theory of human information acquisition. In Oaksford, M & Chater, N (Eds.), The probabilistic mind: Prospects for rational models of cognition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
· Butko, N., & Movellan, J. 2007. "Learning to Learn," Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL2007)
· Zhang Lingyun, Matthew H. Tong, and Garrison W. Cottrell (2007) Information attracts attention: A probabilistic account of the cross-race advantage in visual search. In Proceedings of the 29th Annual Cognitive Science Conference, Nashville, Tennessee. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum.
· Matthew H. Tong, Adam D. Bickett, Eric M. Christiansen, Garrison W. Cottrell (2007). Learning Grammatical Structure with Echo State Networks doi:10.1016/j.neunet.2007.04.013. Neural Networks. 20(3):424-432.
· A. B. Chan and N. Vasconcelos. Classifying Video with Kernel Dynamic Textures. CVPR'07, Minneapolis, 2007. [pdf]
· A. B. Chan, N. Vasconcelos, and G. R. G. Lanckriet. Direct Convex Relaxations of Sparse SVM. ICML'07, Corvallis, OR, 2007. [pdf]
· A. B. Chan and N. Vasconcelos. Modeling, clustering, and segmenting video with mixtures of dynamic textures. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2007 (accepted). [pdf]
· G. Carneiro, A. B. Chan, P. J. Moreno, and N. Vasconcelos. Supervised learning of semantic classes for image annotation and retrieval. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 29(3), pp. 394-410, March 2007. [pdf]
· Joshi, N., Avidan, S., Matusik, W., and Kriegman, D. Tracking through Occlusions using Multiple Cameras. ICCV'07, Rio de Janeiro, 2007, (to appear). [Abstract and/or PDF].
· Joshi, N. and Kriegman, D. Shape from Varying View and Illumination. ICCV'07, Rio de Janeiro, 2007, (to appear). [Abstract and/or PDF].
· Joshi, N., Matusik, W., Avidan, S., Pfister, H., and Freeman, W.T. Exploring Defocus Matting: Non-Parametric Acceleration and Super-Resolution. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Special Issue on Computational Photography. March/April 2007 (Vol. 27, No. 2) pp 43-52. [Abstract and/or PDF].
· Masnadi-Shirazi, Hamed, & Vasconcelos, Nuno. High Detection-rate Cascades for Real-Time Object Detection. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV) , Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2007.
· Masnadi-Shirazi, Hamed, & Vasconcelos, Nuno. Asymmetric Boosting. Proceedings of International Conference on Machine Learning, Corvallis, OR, May 2007.
· Filimon, F, Nelson, JD, Hagler, DJ, & Sereno, MI (2007). Human cortical representations for reaching: mirror neurons for execution, observation, and imagery. NeuroImage, 37(4), 1315-1328. doi:10.1016/j.neuroimage.2007.06.008
· Hammon, P.S. & Makeig, S. & Poizner, H. & Todorov, E. & de Sa, V.R. (2008) Predicting Reaching Targets from Human EEG. To appear in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (Jan 2008).
· Hammon, P.S. & de Sa, V.R.(2007). Pre-processing and meta-classification for brain-computer interfaces. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 54(3): 518-525. Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TBME.2006.888833.
· A. Rabinovich, A. Vedaldi, C. Galleguillos, E. Wiewiora, & S. Belongie. Objects in Context, ICCV'07, Rio de Janeiro, 2007, (to appear)
· B. Babenko, P. Dollar, & S. Belongie. Task Specific Local Region Matching, ICCV'07, Rio de Janeiro, 2007
· S. Agarwal, J. Wills, L. Cayton, G. Lanckriet, D. Kriegman, & S. Belongie. Generalized Non-metric Multidimensional Scaling AI-STATS'07, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2007
· P. Dollar, V. Rabaud, & S. Belongie. Non-Isometric Manifold Learning: Analysis and an Algorithm, ICML'07, Corvallis, OR, 2007
· P. Dollar, Z. Tu, H. Tao, & S. Belongie. Feature Mining for Image Classification, CVPR07, 1-8, 2007, Source
· M. Merler, C. Galleguillos, & S. Belongie (2007) Recognizing Groceries in situ Using in vitro Training Data, SLAM07, 1-8, Source
· McCleery, J. P. Allman, E. A., Carver, L. J., & Dobkins, K. R.
Abnormal magnocellular pathway visual processing
in infants at risk for autism. Biological Psychiatry, in press.
This study used visual psychophysics to assess the integrity of the magnocellular versus parvocellular visual pathway in 6-month-old infants with a family history of autism. When compared with control infants with no family history of autism, these infants evidenced a specific abnormality in the magnocellular visual pathway. Given that autism and its symptoms are known to run in families, these results suggest that autism may be associated with abnormal M pathway function early in infancy, which may aid in early diagnosis of the disorder.
· Cordova CA, Said BO, McCarley RW, Baxter MG, Chiba AA, Strecker RE. Sleep deprivation in rats produces attentional impairments on a 5-choice serial reaction time task. Sleep. 2006 Jan 1;29(1):69-76.
· Dissertation: The Role of the Basolateral Amygdala in Affective Associative Learning. Irina Y. Merzlyak Copyright 2006 by Proquest Information and Learning Company
· D. Turnbull, L. Barrington & G. Lanckriet. Modeling Music and Words using a Multi-Class naive Bayes Approach. International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval (ISMIR '06), Victoria, October 2006. PDF, slides, bibliography.
· J.A. Palmer, D.P. Wipf, K. Kreutz-Delgado, and B.D. Rao, Variational EM Algorithms for Non-Gaussian Latent Variable Models, In Weiss, B. Schölkopf, and J. Platt, editors, Advances in Neural formation Processing Systems 18, MIT Press, 2006.
· Minna Ng, Vivian M. Ciaramitaro, Stuart Anstis, Geoffrey M. Boynton, & Ione Fine. Selectivity for the configural cues that identify gender, ethnicity, and identity in human cortex. PNAS, 19552-19557 December 19, 2006 vol. 103 no. 51
· P. Dollar, Z. Tu, & Belongie, S. (2006) Supervised Learning of Edges and Object Boundaries, CVPR06, II: 1964-1971. Source
· Nicholas Butko & Jochen Triesch. Exploring the Role of Intrinsic Plasticity for the Learning of Sensory Representations. ESANN 2006 proceedings - 14th European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks Bruges (Belgium), 26-28 April 2006, accepted [pdf]Hammon, P. S., Pineda, J. A., de Sa, V.R. Viewing Motion Animations During Motor Imagery: Effects on EEG Rhythms. In G.R. M?ller-Putz, C. Brunner, R. Leeb, R. Scherer, A. Schl?gl, S. Wriessnegger, and G. Pfurtscheller, editors, Proceedings of the 3rd International Brain-Computer Interface Workshop and Training Course 2006, pages 62^?63, 2006. [abstract]
· Oberman, L.M., McCleery, J.P., Ramachandran, V.S., & Pineda, J.A. (2006).
· Tim Marks. (2006). [Ph.D. Thesis] Facing Uncertainty: 3D Face Tracking and Learning with Generative Models
Strehl, Li, Wiewiora, Langford, and Littman. 2006. PAC model-free reinforcement learning. In Proceedings of the 23rd international Conference on Machine Learning. ACM Press: New York NY.
· D.P. Wipf and B.D. Rao, "Comparing the Effects of Different Weight Distributions on Finding Sparse Representations," (in press) Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 18, NIPS 2006. [pdf]
· A. Rabinovich, S. Belongie, T. Lange, & J.M. Buhmann. Model Order Selection and Cue Combination for Image Segmentation, CVPR06, I: 1130-1137, 2006. Source
· J. Wills, S. Agarwal, & S. Belongie. A Feature-based Approach for Dense Segmentation and Estimation of Large Disparity Motion, IJCV, Vol. 68, 125-143, 2006. Source
· Dissertation: "Attention, Prediction and Sequence Learning: Roles of the Cholinergic Basal Forebrain and the Retrosplenial Cortex" Christopher A. Cordova Copyright 2005 by Proquest Information and Learning Company
· D.P. Wipf and B.D. Rao, $\ell_0$-Norm Minimization for Basis Selection, In L. Saul, Y. Weiss, and L. Bottou, editors, Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 17, MIT Press, 2005.
· D.P. Wipf and B.D. Rao, Finding Sparse Representations in Multiple Response Models via Bayesian Learning, Workshop on Signal Processing with Adaptive Sparse Structured Representations, Rennes, France, November 2005.
· Dollar, Piotr, Rabaud, Vincent, Cottrell, Garrison W., and Serge Belongie (2005) Behavior recognition via sparse spatio-temporal features. In Proceedings of the Joint IEEE Workshop on Visual Surveillance and Performance Evaluation of Tracking and Surveillance (VS-PETS), Beijing, China. [pdf]
· Wilburn, B., Joshi, N., Vaish, V., Tavala, E-V., Antunez, E., Barth, A., Adams, A., Horowitz, M , and Levoy, M. High Performance Imaging Using Large Camera Arrays. Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2005 (to appear). [pdf]
· Oberman, L.M., Hubbard, E.M., McCleery, J.P., Altschuler, E.L.,
· Matthew H. Tong, Carrie A. Joyce, and Garrison W. Cottrell (2005). Are Greebles Special? Or, why the Fusiform Fish Area would be recruited for Sword Expertise (If we had one). In Proceedings of the 26th Annual Cognitive Science Conference, Stresa, Italy. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum. (Winner of the 2005 Marr Prize for best student paper.) [pdf]
· Wiewiora, E. 2005. Learning predictive representations from a history. In Proceedings of the 22nd international Conference on Machine Learning. ACM Press: New York, NY.
· I. Laptev, S.J. Belongie, P. Perez, & J. Wills. "Periodic Motion Detection and Segmentation via Approximate Sequence Alignment, ICCV05, I: 816-823, 2005. Source.
· Marks, Tim K., Hershey, J., Roddey, J.C., and Movellan, J.R. Joint Tracking of Pose, Expression, and Texture using Conditionally Gaussian Filters. Neural Information Processing Systems 17 (NIPS 2004).[pdf]
· Serge Belongie and Josh Wills, Structure from Periodic Motion.
· Josh Wills &Serge Belongie. ECCV (3), Springer. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol 3023, 170-182, 2004 Editors: Tom?s Pajdla & Jiri Matas. Source
· Andrew Rabinovich, Sameer Agarwal, Casey Laris, Jeffrey H. Price, & Serge Belongie (2003) Unsupervised Color Decomposition Of Histologically Stained Tissue Samples, NIPS, MIT Press, Editors: Sebastian Thrun, Lawrence K. Saul, & Bernhard Schölkopf Source