to join us in San Diego in Summer 2017 to conduct novel research
at the intersection of design, cognitive science, robotics, and computer science
Students will be matched with and work closely with research mentors on an active research project. Example topics of research include:
• Visualizing data of Jupyter Notebook use in data-centric programming
• Engaging in community robotics design projects with older adults
• Scaling up online tutoring for computer programming using pythontutor.com
• Designing and developing novel approaches to civic engagement
• Creating and studying methods for online consensus building
• Developing multiscale browser-based visualization facilities
• Studying mechanisms related to exchanging design feedback
• Exploring temporal and spatial aspects of idea generation
• Designing and developing algorithms for personalized healthcare delivery
• Designing fun video games that solve software engineering tasks
• Developing and evaluating tools for team formation
The program begins on June 19 and runs for up to 12 weeks. Students will be paid a stipend, and will also have their housing costs covered. Selected participants will have the opportunity to develop skills and to work on focused, collaborative projects that have the potential to benefit society. Prior undergraduate have helped to co-author papers for top research conferences and many have gone on to graduate school.
Ideal applicants will be rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors, and looking to develop skills in one or more of visual or interaction design, behavioral sciences, or software/hardware development. We are very interested in broadening participation of students from traditionally underrepresented groups in computing or who do not have access to research facilities at their home institution. Previous research experience is not a requirement.
During the program, participants will be able to attend workshops to find out about graduate school, learn how to apply for graduate student fellowships (such as the NSF GFRP), and enjoy the beautiful San Diego area. There will be plenty of opportunities to socialize with both faculty, graduate student mentors, and other undergraduate students on campus.
The application deadline is April 3rd, 2017. Decisions will be sent out by April 15th. To apply, please fill out this form: https://goo.gl/forms/biIeJsnnlf7C2Fdi1