Experiments for Credit
How to sign up for experiments (Experimetrix)
SIGN UP FOR EXPERIMENTS EARLY IN THE QUARTER TO AVOID DEALING WITH A SHORTAGE LATER IN THE YEAR! Do NOT wait until finals week to try and sign up for an experiment because you won't be allowed.
What to do:
- Go to https://experimetrix2.com/ucsd/.
For general rules, guidelines, etc., click on the "read.me" link on the main page.
For frequently asked questions, click on the "help.me" link on main page.
- If you have not used experimetrix before, click on the "new.user" link, enter your name, student ID, and email address. Your logon and password will then be sent to your email address. It is your responsibility to make sure your provided email address is able to accept emails (so, don’t use an e-mail address that you never check). If you have used experimetrix for a previous course, you should still be able to use your old login (but make sure the e-mail address is current).
- After you receive your logon and password, you’ll have 3 days to log on to your account. If you fail to logon within that 3 day period, your membership is deleted and you’ll have to register again. If you make a mistake (e.g., enter the wrong email address) and never receive your logon and password, you must wait 3 days before registering again. You should only have to register one time (not every quarter or even every year).
- If you forget your password, click on forgot.password located on the main page.
- Once you’ve logged in, go to the Edit your course selection link. You must select the course(s) to which you wish to later assign the credit (Cogs 1, Cogs101A, etc.).
- Go to the sign up link on the home page to select an experiment. You should select both an experiment and the course for which you want to receive the credit. Confirmation will then be sent to your email address.
- You will receive an email reminder 24 hourrs before the experiment. A common reason for not receiving this email is that your mailbox is full, so check that first.
- You can cancel an appointment without penalty as long as you do so at least 24 hours prior to the experiment. Confirmation will be sent to your email address. Failing to show up for a scheduled experiment will result in a penalty equal to the number of credits offered for that experiment.
- At any point, you may select the log.in link from the main page to review your scheduled and past appointments, edit your course selections, and assign your earned credits to your courses.
- VERY IMPORTANT! After receiving credit for your participation, you must select Assign Credits to Your Courses, and you must do this before finals week. The classes to which you wish credit to be assigned are listed, with the number of credits you_ve received. You will need to type in the number of credits you want assigned next to the class to which you want it assigned. If you fail to do this step, you will not receive your credit.
*As a participant in experimental research, you have the right to leave the experiment at any time if you wish to do so. If you conscientiously object to experimental participation, or if there is a shortage of experiments in which you can participate, your instructor will provide you with an alternate assignment which will serve the same educational ends. You are entitled, in each experiment, to at least five minutes devoted to teaching you about the experiment and its purposes.