Week 2: Writing Assignment
Answer one of the following questions based on this week's
material (one-page typewritten response, double-spaced, due Friday
- What do "push" and "pull" refer to in LGN and V1 neurophysiology?
- According to Hirsch, what is the hypothesized role of
inhibitory (smooth) neurons in V1 in terms of simple cell
push-pull receptive field properties?
- What are the advantages of whole-cell recordings that measure
intracellular membrane potential (the methodology used by
Hirsch), compared to the more standard methodology of
extracellular recordings that only look at the action potentials?
- What do you think is the role of binocular rivalry (besides
providing a fascinating experimental phenomenon for scientists)?
In other words, what function could it serve in the brain in
- Is binocular rivalry a competition in dominance between eyes or
between patterns? Provide evidence for either/both.
Extra credit (one paragraph, due Friday 04/16/10, up to 20% bonus).
- Can feedforward push-pull circuitry, as described by Hirsch,
support binocular rivalry? Why or why not?
Last modified: Sat Apr 10 16:52:36 EDT 2010