Final Writing Assignment
Answer one of the following questions (one-page typewritten
response, double-spaced, due Tuesday 06/08/10).
- Specificity in neural computation and representation often go
hand in hand with a certain degree of information loss. Discuss
why this needs to be the case and give examples from three
different sensory modalities (among vision, audition, olfaction,
- Our understanding of what neurons encode is often limited by
what kind of sensory stimuli we probe the system with. Give
examples from three different sensory modalities (among vision,
audition, olfaction, and somatosensation).
- Describe the distinct topography of neural representation in
visual, auditory, and rodent barrel cortex. Discuss how these
distinct representations may naturally arise for each sensory
modality and what functions they may facilitate in their
respective sensory systems.
- Compare and contrast anatomical and functional organization of
neural processing in visual and auditory systems.
- Neural processing in sensory systems is often thought of as
feedforward and linear: increasingly complex and sophisticated
from the sensory periphery to "higher" levels of processing.
Give three distinct examples from the course that go against this
Extra credit (one paragraph, due Tuesday 06/08/10, up to 20%
- Describe two ways in which neural coding in the olfactory
system is different from the other sensory modalities.
Last modified: Sat Jun 5 11:05:39 BST 2010